Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Adventure Begins Again...

Traveling for me always seems to be an adventure. I can't seem to go anywhere without some kind of a story. But I would have it no other way.

Today, for example, my little jaunt to New York was anything but boring. We were a little late getting out of the Portland airport, which made me a little nervous, because I only had a 50-minute layover in Chicago and didn't know whether my next flight would be all the way on the other side of the airport. I arrived 20 minutes before we were supposed to depart for LaGuardia, but luckily I found out my next flight was delayed because of a late aircraft. After finally boarding about an hour behind schedule, they then proceeded to tell us that we were going to have to wait another 40 minutes on the tarmac because inbound traffic to LaGuardia was so heavy, they had to hold planes back.

We were relieved to finally get under way an hour and a half later than scheduled. As if the flight wasn't eventful enough already, an attendant came over the loudspeaker asking if there was a nurse or doctor on board. We weren't entirely sure what was happening except that there was a sick passenger. The good news is that we got priority clearance to land at LaGuardia! The one nugget of goodness in all my travel woes...

I came to find out that the passenger was a bit dizzy and looked a bit flushed, but didn't seem extremely serious. It was around 11 PM by the time I got into a cab headed towards Manhattan and to my awaiting pillow, which my head was eager to get to.

But....that wasn't the end of the adventure. As the hotel bell man opened the door for me, I got out of the cab and as I looked down for two second to put away my receipt, the cabbie started to drive off down the road. I looked up just in time to shout -- "Hey, my suitcases!!" That the was the bell man's cue to go running off after the cab shouting at him to stop. Luckily, and I never thought I'd say this, there always seems to be traffic in NY, no matter what time of day or night. The cab didn't get very far before realizing he had driven off with my suitcases.

After all that, it was kind of a nice relief to check in and go to my hotel room uneventfully!

A car ride, two planes and a taxi ride later...I am happy to be back in the Big Apple!

1 comment:

  1. Aimee! What an adventure just to get to NY! Glad to hear you managed to arrive safely to NY tho...will be looking forward to reading more entertaining stories. Have fun! ~ Luciana

    ReplyDelete