Saturday, September 5, 2009

Blog-crastinating and My New Blog Topic


So I must be the worst blogger in the world....or Top 10 at least. I don't usually blog until I travel, which for the last few months has been fairly sporadic. I did go to Israel in July and that was amazing. I'm not sure why I didn't find time to blog about it. It was an amazing experience -- some of the best seafood I've ever had literally sitting on the beach of the Mediterranean. I got to go to the US Ambassador's 4th of July party in Tel Aviv...on the 1st of July. They pulled out all the stops...with a huge fireworks show, as well as a speech by the Prime Minister of Israel. Then I got invited to another 4th of July, on the actual holiday, which was a rooftop party with live music and everything. Great way to celebrate our US holiday in a foreign country!
I did have the opportunity to experience the Old City of Jerusalem, with a trip to the Wailing Wall, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Via Dolorosa, the Tower of David and we even had lunch in the Armenian Quarter.

Speaking of food...the reason for my post tonight is to share about my other great love in life. Besides traveling, my other passion is food. I love to eat it, make it, talk about and learn how to make it! I just saw the movie Julie and Julia. It reminded me how much I love to cook. My mother instilled this passion in me. Growing up, I can remember my mom creating amazing things with food. My friends that would come over for dinner would remark about how gourmet my mom's food was. I was always proud of this, but didn't fully appreciate it until I had to live on my own and cook my own meals. I found that food that wasn't cooked from scratch just didn't have the same flavors as I knew growing up. I had a new appreciation for food that I had definitely taken advantage of growing up...I never understood that what my mom had was talent. To be able to take a number of ingredients from the fridge and cupboards and create something that was not only edible, but also incredibly tasty...is truly a gift. I've decided that even if I cannot live up to my mother's talent, maybe I can at least appreciate good food when I taste it. That is why I've decided to add an additional feature to my blog. Not only will I blog about my traveling adventures, but I will also blog about my food-ventures. Whether it's a small local cafe or a world-renowned dining experience, I plan to share about it in my blog. I'm sure there are a number of new blogs inspired by movies like Julie and Julia, but I'm sure that's because, I believe, food brings people together and creates memories. It's an important part of our culture and history and in my opinion, it brings a unique experience to every one of my trips. And I plan to share that with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment